Re: To make a copy of a table

From: Brad Murray <BradMurray_at_SeeSignatureIfThere.com>
Date: 1998/01/08

In article <693393$5i6$1_at_naiad.grenet.fr>, cicg_at_cicgcommunication. grenet.fr said...
> I want to make a copy of a table in alphabetical order.
> I tried to do this:
> create table T2 as select * from T1 order by colX;
> This does not work...

This is a table. The order of the rows is not really important. If you need the new table to be ordered for subsequent queries you will need to put an order by clause in those queries. Oracle doesn't allow you to put an order by clause in a create table as statement for this reason.

Think about it this way. You create your table this way so that you don't have to order it in future use. Then somebody adds a row. It will probably now be out of order.

 Bradley S. Murray Princeton Computer Consulting (609) 730-9100  BradMurray(-at-)usa.net Pennington, NJ 08534-3612 Fax: 275-5651 Received on Thu Jan 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST