Re: SQL*PLUS 8.0 returns LESS rows from Oracle 7.3.3, WHY??

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/01/08

The fetching error (less number of rows against a 7.x database) is a sqlplus problem that is fixed with 8.0.4. The workaround right now for you is to set the arraysize to 1.

SQL> set arraysize 1

You will find that plus 8.0.3 against against 7.x will return a multiple of the array fetch rows. It doesn't display the rows from the last array fetch. So if you have a table with 16 rows and arraysize is 10, you'll get 10 rows. If your arraysize was 5, you'll get 15 rows. Setting arraysize to 1 will get all of them.

The desc is likewise fixed in 8.0.4. The temporary workaround is to use svrmgr30.exe. It can describe the table successfully.

On Thu, 08 Jan 1998 16:18:26 GMT, NO_SPAM.jizwang_at_cc.umanitoba.ca (Dr. J. Wang) wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I am using SQL*PLUS 8.0 came with Oracle 8.0.3 for NT against Oracle 7.3.3
>server on a Unix box. About 80% time I receive LESS rows than I used SQL*Plus
>directly on the Unix box (SQL*Plus installed with Server 7.3.3). I also can
>not use "desc table1" in SQL*PLUS 8.0 for NT. It complains "ERROR:
>ORA-12663: Services required by client not available on the server".
>
>Yes, I did set compatibility to 7 in SQL*PLUS 8.0 environment. It doesn't
>help.
>
>Anyone has some clues?
>
>Thanks
>
>Jizhong
>jizwang_at_cc.umanitoba.ca

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jan 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST