Re: Oracle and Visual FoxPro 5.0

From: Ganesh Kini <gkini_at_epnet.com>
Date: 1998/01/06

Mariano A. Rodriguez Carniglia wrote:

> I have to use Oracle tables from a Visual FoxPro 5.0 application connecting
> them by SQL Net. Anybody knows How ?

> Thank You
>
> If you answer to spmarc_at_netkey.com.ar will be faster, Thanks again.

See Visual fox help on -

SQLCONNECT([DataSourceName, cUserID, cPassword | cConnectionName])

Create a database alias using sqlnet easy configuration giving the ip address, data instance name. e.g. you want to create an alias 'oradb' to connect to database instance 'ORCL' at ip address 56.7.8.9. Go to sqlnet easy config and create an alias oradb and then give the 2 parameters.

You need ORACLE ODBC driver installed on client workstation. Create the datasource with a name and give the database alias using ODBC32 Manager. e.g. data source name 'dsOra', give any description and user and give 'oradb' as server name.

Use sqlconnect command in fox 5 to get the connection handle. e.g. nConnectionHandle = SQLCONNECT('dsOra','user1','pwd1') If connection is successful, nConnectionHandle value would be 1. To execute a query returning a cursor e.g: nRetval = sqlexec(nConnectionHandle,"select * from table1","cursor1") Received on Tue Jan 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST