Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1998/01/05

Hmmm, My mileage does vary!

I guess that I have been lucky. I mean I installed Oracle 7.3.3 on both an IBM AIX box and 8.0.3 on NT 4.0 last week and had no problems, but then I didn't have any problems back in October when I installed 7.2.3 on an NT 3.5.1 box and 7.3.2 on an NT 4.0 box. I have never had a serious problem with an Oracle install and I have installed Oracle on AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO, and NT. I have installed several versions of Oracle (7.0 beta and production, 7.1.4, 7.1.6, 7.2.3, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, and 8.0.3) and have never had the types of problems you describe.

I must agree that Oracle can be a real pain in the butt to install and I strongly recommend that one Read The Fine Manual -- very carefully -- before doing the install, but if both system and Oracle are configured properly the install goes quickly and smoothly. (One morning last year I installed 7.2.3 on two IBM RS6000s and 7.1.6 on a third RS6000 -- and all went well.)

Oh, one thing I didn't mention that may be of signifigance is that for most of these installs I have either been the Unix Systems Administrator or had access to the root account in addition to being the Oracle DBA. As a result I have been able to configure the boxes the way I wanted without having to get permission or convince an SA before I did anything.

Another thing is that I faithfully follow the Oracle OFA concept and all of my configuration files are in the default location for the flavor of UNIX that I am installing on. (Why go looking for trouble?)

Jerry

(snip)