Re: What's the network load of Smart Client?

From: Hilary Shreter <shreterh_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1998/01/04

There is within the System Administrator responsibility a form "Network Test" [or something like that -- I'm at home and unavailable to Apps] with which you can directly compare different installs and different connections.

Direct to your question: SC does not to my knowledge download entire tables...there are all sorts of shortcuts taken (which I note in my mind as performance helpers, but which to everyone else is "just Oracle"). Much of the work is done with views and PL.SQL sleight-of-hand feeding the forms. You have to ask to get the next set of records, and you have to give a wildcard when Apps feels you;re asking for too big a picklist.

Reports are handled by way of a "viewer" to look at a preformatted fixed-font report -- I don't have the slightest how the viewer works, but unless your developers are creating "bitmapped" reports you'll just be dealing with character-based reports, likely just a page at a time (that's all the user can see at a time).

We have our client forms traffic distributed over several NT servers. From the client point of view, performance changes dramatically when they're linked to the wrong forms server.

From the server's point of view, there's less traffic than I'd have expected: with all the governers and server demanding shorter picklists and PL/SQL underneath "distilling" the traffic must be lessened.

Suggest you install various ways [our biggest gain was putting the executables on the clients with OCSM to start up] and try it, but remember that people spend lots of time in one form, inspecting lots of data that was pulled down already.

Maybe the network test will help you [if you're starting with 10.7, you might have to get Support's help in seeding the test data]. I think that our traffic wasn't as heavy as was first feared. -- Hilary, Just the DBA

Randy Witlicki <see-signature-for-addr_at_valley.net.NOSPAM> wrote in article <6886ob$dpq$4_at_dartvax.dartmouth.edu>...