Re: $199 NC box?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/02

In article <68i3p8$b4o$1_at_news2.ispnews.com>, Todd Bellaver <tbellaver_at_awdcom.com> wrote:
>I also read that someone was giving away lobotomies and amputations for
>$199.
>
>I don't mean to be facetious but why would anyone want a 'dumb terminal' in
>their house? Especially since there is nothing that you can't do with a PC
>that you can do with a NIC and there is allot you can do with a PC that you
>can't do with a NIC.
>
>Sorry, $199 is not worth the regret I would feel for having to re-purchase
>the same functionality in a computer that I can use in a practical world.

There is one thing you can do with a NIC that you can't do with a PC. Buy it for $199. That is a non-sequitor for all us techno-weenies that already have computers, but for a school system or cable system that will be buying mass quantities, it makes big plenty $en$e. Ever make money from a large government initiative? Ever work for anyone who did?

>Oh, by the way, for those of us that have taken Oracle classes that used
>similar technology. How many times was your class delayed because of
>Oracle's network? As a veteran of over to 5 classes, I would have to say at
>least once every class with an average of two to three times.

And the freakin' web loses 20-30% of it's packets. Has that stopped it?

>Steve Levy <"s.levy_at_erols.com"@erols.com> wrote in message
><685ffv$mbt$1_at_winter.news.erols.com>...
>>I saw on FOX (TV) an ad for an Oracle network computer box.
>>$199. Anyone seen one in real life? Does it work?

Saw rows of them at Oracle World, they worked, I was able to get to some unix by doing stuff like mailing myself the .profile and so forth. Very frustrating for me, since I'm used to fast ether speeds and sparcs or alphas on my desk. But most inner city kids would be happy to have one.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com