Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/02

In article <EM3rHv.4nA_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk>, Stephen Harris <sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk> wrote:

>Blugh? Have you installed Unix Oracle on any platform? The install
>routines (orainst, and root.sh) are broken so badly... (sorry, quick
>divergence into a minor rant about broken Oracle install routines)

Yeah, I've ranted for years, why can't Oracle understand it ain't good business to piss off people right after you've taken their check? I guess a few years of raking in the bucks makes you think you are doing something right.

>Again, we are talking different markets. I wouldn't expect Oracle to release
>a Unix product targetted at dumb-user without a clue. Such a dumb user
>couldn't afford the license fees anyway :-)

A few years ago, there was a conference in La Costa looking at the future of computing or some such. Phillipe Kahn pointed out there is a strong economic pressure to push pricing down to about $100/seat. At first I laughed, since I was at the time supporting sites where manufacturers had quite willingly plunked down hundreds of thousands for Alphas, HP's and AIX's, in order to get an appropriate bundle of applications. Then I thought about it for a while...

>$$$$$$$$ That's what Oracle are looking for. Where I work, we are one of

Not a secret! :-) However, after I did the above thinking, I posted we should watch out for a siege mentality, as stockholder pressure to perform becomes increasingly difficult. Now I think we are seeing it. If Larry cracks, we might see some really bizarre organizational behavior. If he slides through somehow again, maybe this will be the wakeup call to admit that there will be some hard times ahead, and maybe Linux servers aren't such a bad idea. We can but hope.

>the heaviest (non banking) Oracle users in the country. We don't have
>big databases - we just do very clever and wierd things with it :-)
>We work the Oracle support desk *hard* and have (we've been told)

Kewl!

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com