ORA-12546: TNS:permission denied

From: Jason Collison <jasonc_at_courtave.net>
Date: 1998/01/01

I know this question has come up before, I think my problem is slightly different. I'm getting this error: ORA-12546: TNS:permission denied

This error only occurs when I try to connect using the sid (using 'sqlplus user_at_SID') _locally_, and from my personal account. When I don't specify the sid on the sqlplus command line I can get connected. Also, when I log into this machine as the Oracle user, everything is just fine: I can connect with or without the sid.

After looking over old posts here and doing some research I have verified the following:

I ran a trace logged in as myself, and also logged in as the oracle user. The two differences are: The username specified in what it calls "address information"; it says (USER=me) in one, and (USER=oracle) in the other. Then comes the error:

ntuscni: Connect with socket 13
ntus2err: entry
-<ERROR>- ntus2err: sd=13, op=1, resnt[0]=516, resnt[1]=13, resnt[2]=0
ntus2err: exit
ntuscni: exit
ntusconn: exit
nserror: entry
-<ERROR>- nserror: nsres: id=0, op=65, ns=12546, ns2=12560; nt[0]=516,
nt[1]=13, nt[2]=0
-<ERROR>- nsopen: unable to open transport

More errors follow, but I'm assuming these are just caused by the above.

I'm also having similar trouble connecting remotely: I must specify the SID on the command line even though $ORACLE_SID is properly set. If I do not, here's what I get:

ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment. DEC OSF/1 (AXP) Error: 2: No such file or directory

Any suggestions?
Thanks a bunch,
-Jason