Re: help: Oracle space problem. Error code ora-01652

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/31

Hi Mary. I bet you get lots of answers to this. There are a couple of things you need to check. Firstly, is there enough space in the tablespace where you are creating temp segments? Note that you can alter the temporary tablespace with "ALTER USER TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <foo>" if there is another tablespace where it would be more appropriate. Secondly, you need to check the default STORAGE parameters for the tablespace you select for temporary segments to see what size they are created and extended with, and whether the extension size is increased dynamically (PCTINCREASE). Your DBA should be able to make sense of this. Also, it may be possible to get misleading messages so check all the same things for the rollback segment tablespace. Finally, there are some init.ora parameters which may be relevant - look at the meaning of sort_area_size and sort_area_incr (this last is actually more relevant to building indexes, I can't remember whether it applies to sorts while querying) and there may be a sort_to_disk or similar parameter?

In article <1997Dec30.191211_at_latte.memphis.edu>, hchen_at_cc.memphis.edu writes

--
Tom Cooke