Re: simple PL/SQL syntax question.

From: Edward Baggott <NoJunkMail_at_GetLost.net>
Date: 1997/12/30

In article <67v3vg$5hh1_at_news.hk.linkage.net> "Robert Edgar" <robedgar_at_hkstar.com> wrote:

> Makes perfect sense to me.......
> To embed a single quote in a string you usually need to double it.
> If you remove the text from your string its a bit clearer

> so youve got 4 ticks and 4 ticks , both parts are a sinlge tick to start a
> string a single tick to end the string and in the middle two ticks to
> indicate an embeded single tick.
>
> Rob

This is a real good explanation of something that is not immediately intuitive.

Another good rule of thumb that helps me keep things straight is that you must have EVEN number of ticks on either side of the concatenation operator. The outer ticks delimit a substring, and there cannot be any single ticks between them. Received on Tue Dec 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CST