Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.amrcorp.com>
Date: 1997/12/30

On 30 Dec 1997 18:01:35 GMT, martin.spott_at_notexistent.org <martin.spott_at_notexistent.org> wrote:
>> so, the glibc can be installed together with the old version ? e.g. it's
>> installable on current systems ?
>
>I do this for more than half a year and I am quite happy with it. You should
>have at least a core system for glibc. After that, you can go the way to
>migrate your system by compiling new software / new releases for glibc.
>About 90 % of the software of my daily use is already converted. For some
>pieces you need a small patch.
>
>> (how long do I need a.out and elf on the system hmmpf)
>
>That depends ....

Indeed.

If you use, as much as possible, software that is managed using automated tools such as RPM or dpkg, then the vast majority of the software should be able to be "upgraded" to use GLIBC, with some hopeful minor performance improvements.

I write as many of my utilities as possible using scripting languages like Perl, which has the natural effect that moving to GLIBC almost goes unnoticed.

Things that are distributed as binaries will obviously require old libraries. Which is typically commercial software...

--
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
phasers on the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three"