Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Kristian Koehntopp <kris_at_koehntopp.de>
Date: 1997/12/29

Alex Buell <alex_at_tahallah.demon.co.uk> writes:
>On 18 Dec 1997, Christopher B. Browne wrote:
>> Give threading six months to solidify under the GLIBC "regime," and we can
>> provide a somewhat different story...
>I keep hearing about GLIBC. What's the difference between that and a
>normal LIBC?

glibc is the GNU C runtime library Version 2.0 (labelled Version 6 in Linux because of ELF version number requirements). Unlike Linux libc Version 5 it is portable between differen Unices. It also has much better thread support and many, many other improvements over normal libc. RedHat and Debian are both deep in the process of glib'ifiying their distributions and other distribution vendors will follow.

The migration process will have a similar impact on Linux as the transition from a.out to ELF (new library has many new features, old applications will still require the old library installed and loaded, selection between libraries is automatic, some people will inevitable ruin their system when upgrading by destroying critical system libraries and so on).

Kristian

--
          Kristian Koehntopp, http://www.koehntopp.de