Re: Combining Tables in Dev2000 Forms

From: Avinash Deshpande <avdeshpa_at_cisco.com>
Date: 1997/12/29

Alan Schneider wrote:

> I am trying to have the first three instances of a column displayed in a
> Form 4.5 form (easily done) along with its associated information from a
> second table (seems to be quit a bit harder).
>
> What is the best way to combine the tables into a single "Block" so that I
> can get the associated instances in the second table to show up next to the
> columns in the first table. I have figured out how to get the second table
> to display the associated data however it is just for one record at a time.
> I have to click on the item of interest in the first table to have its
> associated information to show up in the second tables text box.
>
> I can do this very easily in Access by creating a subform. But I cannot
> figure out how to do this in Forms 4.5
>
> Please send any responses directly to aschneid_at_gte.net. Thanks in advanced!
> Alan Schneider

Hi,
U cannot combine tables to be a part of a single block. U need to create different blocks for diffrent tables. U may display those on the same canvas to get a feel of a single block.
To retrive the data in the other block based on the values in the previous block , u can get it done in 2-3 ways.
  1. U can create a relation between those blocks. So when u execute a query in the first block, a related query will be fired in the other block too.
  2. U can CODE in the Post-query & Post-change triggers setting the SET_BLOCK_PROPERTY(block_name, DEFAULT_WHERE,' ') & then execute query.

remember that those 2 triggers fire for each record. U can write the Post-query at block level & Post-change at field level.

thanks,
Avinash Received on Mon Dec 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST