Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: M Sweger <mikesw_at_dhp.com>
Date: 1997/12/29

Stephen Harris (sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk) wrote:
: Kristian Koehntopp (kris_at_koehntopp.de) wrote:

: [ Spec deleted ]

: : That's what you get when you buy Enterprise Ultra hardware from
: : Sun. This is at least one league above PC hardware (yes, in
: : features and in price as well).

: Errm, your spec is actually the Ultra 10000 series. The U3000 -> U6000
: series don't even come close to this in most aspects. But since we are
: talking well hundreds of thousands of UK pounds for such a spec, I really must
: assume a comment such as yours is merely a troll, not meant for logical
: discussion. Even a U3000, dual CPU, 1Gb RAM, dual SSA's have a list price
: of 100,000 pounds and this is pennies compared to an U10000.

: Put a PC against an Ultra 2 series machine, then we get useful comparisons.
: I don't like PC's much (though they make good desktop machines, and
: workgroup servers), but compare like to like!

: The U10000 machine is getting close to "big iron" systems - the closest of
: any Unix machines around at present.

: PS, my Ppro200, 64Mb RAM, EIDE disk running SCO Oracle can select and
: insert a million rows in under 4 minutes "insert into x select * from x"
: which is comparible to the results the above U3000 system gave. I think
: I damaged the hard disk though through excessive seeking :-)
: --
: Stephen Harris
: sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk http://www.spuddy.org/

: The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
: * Meeeeow ! Call Spud the Cat on > 01268 515441 < for free Usenet access *

Hi,

        So how long does it take to read a million rows. I'm really interested since I have such a need to know.

TIA

--
	Mike,
	mikesw_at_whiterose.net