Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Mark Lehrer <mark_at_lehrer.nlcomm.com>
Date: 1997/12/28

Carleton Vaughn <Carleton.Vaughn_at_nospam.bridge.bellsouth.com> writes:

> [lorena was here]
> > AFAIK, they are very well aware of the free software marketplace, and
> > profits that could be made.
> [lorena was here, too]
>
> I think Oracle + Linux could make a very mutually amenable
> relationship.
>
> Two weeks ago, Oracle stock took a *major* tumble, something like
> twenty percent of its value. Aside from the usual volitility of

I asked their marketing people about it but they said that "support would be a nightmare."

The address I used: WEB-MKTG_at_us.oracle.com

His name was Drew. Why not drop him a _friendly_ letter asking for a native Oracle/Linux? It probably won't do much good, but who knows... there must be someone at Oracle who would listen, especially if a couple hundred emails appeared one day.

I tried to explain some of the options; for example, Netscape's "official" support on Linux is from Caldera. Adabas ships a copy of suse Linux and presumably will only support that version if weird things start happening.

Mark Received on Sun Dec 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST