Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Ben Lindstrom <mouring_at_newton.pconline.com>
Date: 1997/12/28

It's funny.. UNIFY 3.0 (I know it's OLDER then the hills =) running on Solaris 2.5.1 on Dual P2-200 is what most the US Courts are moving to. Only 64megs of memory (could be 128meg...Don't remember off hand).

About 40 people docketing (at least at the smaller branches) and it works like a charm. Unless one is building the *NEXT* Airline system or expecting a shitload of clients at one time. P2-200 would work just fine...

If Solaris can deal with UNIFY 3.0 (It's even doing AXP emulation!) then Linux should beable to handle Oracle, Informix (SE at least), or Sybase.

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net> wrote:
> Tip,

> excuse me, but where can I buy a two year old PC based system so I
> won't be able to run Oracle on Linux?

> By the way, I just checked and according to the CD-ROM I can run
> Oracle on a 64MB Pentium with NT 4.0. Since NT 4.0 is bigger than
> Linux I should certainly be able to run Oracle on a 64MB Linux
> box. (Okay, so it won't be the fastest thing on earth -- but for
> a single user it will suffice.)

> A Linux based Pentium with 1GB of RAM should be able to comfortably
> support a small to medium size organization.
[...snip..] Received on Sun Dec 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST