Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Nilanjan Bhowmik <nilu_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/12/28

> Granted, there is some truth in the redundancy of larger 'iron'
> machines. But, just as it happened before, this is going to become
> less and less of an issue. In many cases with PCs, it's equivalent or
> cheaper to replace an entire PC than to replace a single failed
> component on a bigger iron machine. Ever look at vendor prices for
> replacement drives, power supplies, etc?

This may not be the right context but I can't help flame SUN a little. SUN is touting their big Iron killer machines. They are the main supplier of software + hardware to ensure smooth operation and this gives them a big edge to provide reliable operation. I bought six Trunking capable Quad Ethernet Cards a month back ( paid a lot for these things ).

When I tried to install Solaris 2.6 + Oracle etc. etc. I found out that the card is not being recognised !! I went through lot of things before I called SUN and found out THEY DO NOT HAVE DRIVER FOR THEIR OWN LATEST HARDWARE RUNNING THEIR OWN LATEST OPERATING SYSTEM - SOLARIS 2.6 !!! Have you ever tried to downgrade Solaris _after_ you have all the software installed, tables done etc. etc. - don't even try ...

Anyway, My point is SUN is still miles away from catching the big Iron. A company who can not synchronize their development cycle may not be trusted with your bank account.

> If Oracle makes a decided point NOT to port to Linux or to be
> generally elitist to appeal to assinine admins, so be it, they'll be
> the ones missing out on a massing market.

Here is a good one - Oracle please please please, at least the Client OCI part will be great !!

Nilanjan Received on Sun Dec 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST