Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/27

Kristian Koehntopp (kris_at_koehntopp.de) wrote:

[ Spec deleted ]

: That's what you get when you buy Enterprise Ultra hardware from
: Sun. This is at least one league above PC hardware (yes, in
: features and in price as well).

Errm, your spec is actually the Ultra 10000 series. The U3000 -> U6000 series don't even come close to this in most aspects. But since we are talking well hundreds of thousands of UK pounds for such a spec, I really must assume a comment such as yours is merely a troll, not meant for logical discussion. Even a U3000, dual CPU, 1Gb RAM, dual SSA's have a list price of 100,000 pounds and this is pennies compared to an U10000.

Put a PC against an Ultra 2 series machine, then we get useful comparisons. I don't like PC's much (though they make good desktop machines, and workgroup servers), but compare like to like!

The U10000 machine is getting close to "big iron" systems - the closest of any Unix machines around at present.

PS, my Ppro200, 64Mb RAM, EIDE disk running SCO Oracle can select and insert a million rows in under 4 minutes "insert into x select * from x" which is comparible to the results the above U3000 system gave. I think I damaged the hard disk though through excessive seeking :-)

--
                            Stephen Harris
             sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk   http://www.spuddy.org/

      The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion.  But what is what?
  * Meeeeow ! Call  Spud the Cat on > 01268 515441 < for free Usenet access *