Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Nix <df$n1x$xyz_at_esperi.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/26

In article <D5864FBF358B6707.FC73AFE21FB317D6.ECC55C353273BE46_at_library-proxy.airnews.net>, Eric Lee Green <e_l_green_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> A dynamic buffer cache is
> provably optimal, since it is always in sync with your usage patterns, while
> a statically-allocated buffer cache must be tuned every time you change your
> work load or usage patterns. The algorithms used for the dynamic buffer cache
> probably need a bit of tuning themselves

I'll say! My Linux box slowed down drastically after 2.0.29, because the buffer caching code was rewritten. Before the change, the buffer cache on my 8Mb system was around 200-500Kb; now, it's 2.5Mb or higher. This means that with the kernel X running too, I've got less than 800Kb free for other processes. It really would be *much* faster if I could set a forced maximum size or something; I've looked at the code to try to do that but it's such a tangle I hardly know where to start. :(

--
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
-- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of