Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- why bother?

From: Michael Hasenstein <mhasenst_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/12/23

On 22 Dec 1997, Tim Smith wrote:

> Benjamin Redelings I <bredelin_at_ucsd.edu> wrote:
> > However, why Oracle? I'm not really a transaction-oriented-database
>
> Oracle (the company) does not like Microsoft. Therefore, at least the way
> some Linux users think, Oracle's products must be cool and they want them
> on Linux.

How about another reason: ~40% market share of Oracle DB (don't know exactly, but it was a lot), i.e. many people have it already and it would be extremely helpful to be able to connect a Linux box to an Oracle DB. You can do this now, but only with workarounds. It would be much nicer if one could use such things like OCI directly on Linux, which would be a side effect of having Oracle ported to the platform.

Also, if your company already runs an Oracle DB (see market share, so this is quite probable), wouldn't it be better to use the same system instead of adding a different one? Ok, some people like to use as many different products as possible in the same environment, but I guess that's not the majority.

Michael Hasenstein; Siemens Nixdorf (Paderborn, Germany)
currently @Oracle, Redwood Shores, California
http://www.csn.tu-chemnitz.de/home/mha/
private EMail: M.Hasenstein(at)remove-this rocketmail dot com