Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1997/12/23

In article <67nud3$sma$2_at_holocron.odc.net>, George Henry C. Daswani <gdaswani_at_biddersparadise.com> wrote:

>I do believe that Oracle, Sybase, and Informix should losen up with
>their restrictions and pricing. I believe they will finally realize
>their mistake not porting to Linux when one day, microsoft is knocking
>at their door carrying Windows NT 5.0, a good enough version of Microsoft
>SQL server, and price/performance ratio that makes them look silly
>when ran on Intel's merced processor.

That would be nice, but they have stockholders to answer to (Larry just lost $2G one day...). Watch for a siege mentality as they try to keep their profitability up, much like DEC, WANG, etal in the 80's...

>(microsoft never makes outstanding software, but they do make software
>that is good enough for most people)..

And leaves many people outstanding in the cold...

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com