Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: George Henry C. Daswani <gdaswani_at_biddersparadise.com>
Date: 1997/12/23

tip (tip_at_blahblah.com) wrote:
: there is NO WAY the pc hardware end of linux would be able to handle running
: oracle in any decent manner. plus its tweaking is rather limited compared to
: solaris and hpux. i have run oracle on both suns and hp boxes - there's just
: no way linux is ready (yet) for oracle.

Oh shit, so I guess SCO, Solaris X86, NT can run them then right? If you are gonna spew some *$(@& #$, might as well compare it to the other platforms on X86..

Considering that Linux takes the least amount of resources compared to SCO, Solaris X86, and NT.. It would be one of the best platforms to run Oracle under X86.. I mean, Linux is quite a nifty threaded os which beats out most others in context switching, memory footprint and etc..

: i currently run oracle 7.2.3 on hp9000/s800/k210's running hpux 10.10 with a
: gig of memory each. that's alright for running oracle.

: but imagine a pc with linux and a motherboard limitation of 128M, a 200Mhz
: processor... i don't think so...

Well, if you buy shit hardware then... I do believe FTP.CDROM.COM is running of a box that has more than 512 Megs of RAM and it's X86 based...

I guess those #*(@&4 X86 boxes are good for nothing then considering that ftp.cdrom.com (the biggest ftp server on the net) is running on the X86 platform and turning out gigabytes of IO everyday albeit running FreeBSD (your argument does not make sense bub).

If you buy SHIT PC hardware, then you get SHIT basically. Some new X86 boxes are coming out with I20 tech (I believe DELL has poweredge servers using em) and should alleviate some of the IO problems in general pc design..

: linux is good for being a workstation, or a small server - but the heavy duty
: shit - better leave it to superior hardware and os's.

Quite funny.. How does one define heavy duty?

You should ask Nasa why they picked the X86/Linux platform running clustered under the Beowulf project - price/performance ratio.

I do have a few gripes about using Linux for RDBMS because of the 2 gig file limitation limit (which I hope will be fixed sooner or later).

But I do believe with the general move to clustering in 3.0, fine grained locks for SMP, and future processors like the merced..

Linux should be able to DISH out TPC's without any problem in the future..

And besides, you can RUN Linux on an Alpha, PowerPC, and Sparc....

I do believe that SOLIDTECH (Solid SQL) and Software AG (Adabas D) will make money in the future when IS managers finally realize that Linux gives them so much for so little. I'm pretty sure Linux boxes are now sneaking up behind the back doors onto most IS depts acting as web servers, name servers, dhcp servers and etc. The day of reckoning will come when one of the RDBMS heavy weights will deliver a shattering announcement regarding porting their XYZ RDBMS to the Linux platform and actually support it directly (But alas, Software AG only supports Linux indirectly).

I do believe that Oracle, Sybase, and Informix should losen up with their restrictions and pricing. I believe they will finally realize their mistake not porting to Linux when one day, microsoft is knocking at their door carrying Windows NT 5.0, a good enough version of Microsoft SQL server, and price/performance ratio that makes them look silly when ran on Intel's merced processor.

(microsoft never makes outstanding software, but they do make software that is good enough for most people).. Received on Tue Dec 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST