Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Thomas Schenk <tschenk_at_dejanews.com>
Date: 1997/12/22

tip wrote:

> there is NO WAY the pc hardware end of linux would be able to handle running
> oracle in any decent manner. plus its tweaking is rather limited compared to
> solaris and hpux. i have run oracle on both suns and hp boxes - there's just
> no way linux is ready (yet) for oracle.
>
> i currently run oracle 7.2.3 on hp9000/s800/k210's running hpux 10.10 with a
> gig of memory each. that's alright for running oracle.
>
> but imagine a pc with linux and a motherboard limitation of 128M, a 200Mhz
> processor... i don't think so...
>
> linux is good for being a workstation, or a small server - but the heavy duty
> shit - better leave it to superior hardware and os's.

This is total crap. The entire Deja News service is run on Linux machines
and Deja News has one of the largest databases on the Web. I also don't know what decade you are living in, but we have Linux SMP running on dual
Pentium II, 300Mhz, with 512M and 28 Gigs of hard disk space, so that stuff
about 128M limitation and 200Mhz is bogus. I am not saying that Linux is
the end all and be all of operating systems, but don't write it off as inferior simply because it runs on PCs. Just because it isn't a PC doesn't
make it superior hardware.

Tom

--
| Tom Schenk            | Use Linux!              | All opinions
expressed |
| tschenk_at_dejanews.com  |    Friends don't let    | are mine and not
those |
| tschenk_at_theoffice.net |     friends do Windows! | of my
employer.        |