Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Craig Kelley <ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu>
Date: 1997/12/22

In article <67jrfn$hac_at_eve.enteract.com>, tip <tip_at_blahblah.com> wrote:
->there is NO WAY the pc hardware end of linux would be able to handle running
->oracle in any decent manner. plus its tweaking is rather limited compared to
->solaris and hpux. i have run oracle on both suns and hp boxes - there's just
->no way linux is ready (yet) for oracle.

Bullshit. We have an AIX 3.2.5 machine (circca 1994) running Oracle 7.3 and our dual-pentium Pro machine with 256MB RAM runs CIRCLES around the machine.

->i currently run oracle 7.2.3 on hp9000/s800/k210's running hpux 10.10 with a
->gig of memory each. that's alright for running oracle.
->
->but imagine a pc with linux and a motherboard limitation of 128M, a 200Mhz
->processor... i don't think so...

Ummm, get a quad motherboard which supports a GB of RAM-- it'll beat the 9000 in raw CPU performance (it will not have as good I/O scores); We have both. The only thing holding the x86 machine down is the lack of a good OS + DBMS. (which could be Linux + Oracle or Sybase)

->linux is good for being a workstation, or a small server - but the heavy duty
->shit - better leave it to superior hardware and os's.

Whatever. I can easily get four machine of the same/better performance for the price of an HP9000.

I wonder who is going to win.. If Oracle or Sybase puts their DMBS on Linux they will get a nice short-term cash flow as initial purchases are made-- the other isn't. :)

--
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
Craig Kelley  --  kellcrai_at_isu.edu