Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: John Hagelgans <jhagel_at_nji.com>
Date: 1997/12/22

tip wrote:

> there is NO WAY the pc hardware end of linux would be able to handle running
> oracle in any decent manner. plus its tweaking is rather limited compared to
> solaris and hpux. i have run oracle on both suns and hp boxes - there's just
> no way linux is ready (yet) for oracle.

This is really quit funny since here I am running a 300 user Sybase server on a dual 100 MHz Pentium running NCR Unix. Granted the reason is historical since we are were a division of AT&T once, but the point is that the Pentium can handle the load, most of the time.

The real reason that it works is that we are using SCSI disks 256 Meg of memory (maxed or I'd have more). Thankfully, we are moving to HP's in the near future. Still, I am convinced that t he problem with PC's is not a hardware issue, everyone has become so used to the shitty response of the hardware with NT and 95 that you kind of feel liberated when you boot up a real operating system instead of a TOY! The real reason everyone thinks the hardware sucks is that the software is so bad. Intel will be wise to dump MS on the next go-round and that may just happen.

Linux is equivalent at least to NCR Unix and thus I'd have to say running Oracle on Linux would not be too much of stretch. If not maybe someone can convince Sybase to port to Linux.

-JH Received on Mon Dec 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CST