Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1997/12/22

In article <67jrfn$hac_at_eve.enteract.com>, tip <tip_at_blahblah.com> wrote:
>there is NO WAY the pc hardware end of linux would be able to handle running
>oracle in any decent manner. plus its tweaking is rather limited compared to
>solaris and hpux. i have run oracle on both suns and hp boxes - there's just
>no way linux is ready (yet) for oracle.
>
>i currently run oracle 7.2.3 on hp9000/s800/k210's running hpux 10.10 with a
>gig of memory each. that's alright for running oracle.
>
>but imagine a pc with linux and a motherboard limitation of 128M, a 200Mhz
>processor... i don't think so...

I'd rather not think about that ... :)

>linux is good for being a workstation, or a small server - but the heavy duty
>shit - better leave it to superior hardware and os's.

I used to be really anti-intel, but some of these newer Pentiums finally have convinced me, as you say, good for a small server.

>thanks,
>- tip
>
>In article <m2yb1epk0h.fsf_at_lucifer.guardian.no>,
>Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no> wrote:
>>[joelga_at_pebble.ml.org (Joel Garry)]
>>|
>>| With the top-end MP PC's, PC is a misnomer. I don't think parallel
>>| servers are a bad topic for this at all. Too bad the original post
>>| was such a troll.
>>
>>the problem with PCs is that you still have to be very careful when
>>building them because compared to traditional UNIX-server hardware
>>they are still not very robust. I've had disks litterally burn up
>>inside the cabinet because cooling is usually bad and my dual P6 needs
>>about 3 new cooling fans per year.
>>
>>the problems with PCs is usually shitty hardware.

I certainly agree with that! However, just because most PC's are poorly engineered, or perhaps engineered to a price point lower than us technoweenies appreciate, doesn't mean a top-end MP Intel server has to be bad. I've seen 64 bit HP and Alphas screw up, too, it's just not something most people have to deal with - and they send engineers out to fix 'em, because they are usually under an expensive support contract or development agreement.

While I personally would rather have a "big" sun, hp or alpha, I haven't seen anything very convincing that a decent mp Intel running linux and parallel Oracle would be a bad idea for, say, a deparmental/small-office server, were such a beast to work.

>>but as far as performance is concerned there is nothing near the price
>>ranges of PCs that gives you more bang for the buck. often I
>>preprocess data on my workstation instead of the database machine,
>>because the Intel running Linux is several times faster.
>>
>>| Yeah, that business plan youse guys were talking about - try
>>| packaging linux servers with a few million of NC's. That oughta get
>>| Larry's attention.
>>
>>do we know anyone who knows Larry personally and could give him a call
>>and explain to him what Linux is and that there are some people who
>>would really like to run Oracle on it? :-)

Well, one of the bay area papers had an article about his landscape architect... :)

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com