Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: George Henry C. Daswani <gdaswani_at_biddersparadise.com>
Date: 1997/12/21

Perry Harrington (pedwards_at_got.net) wrote:
: Hehe, about August 1995 (after SCO world 95') I went to visit Linus at
: a little geek meeting at UCSC. I overheard one of the guys there
: talking
: to another guy about how it took him 4 days to compile Oracle on his
: (386?486?)-33. Sybase has an unsupported copy of OC 10.0.3 for Linux.
: I am actually quite interested in this, because we use Sybase at work,
: and we are venturing into using Linux as frontline servers. I would
: really love to see Sybase support Linux. Actually, I'd love to see them
: support Solaris too ;) (in reference to the really henious signal
: handling in OC 11.01 under Solaris).

It would indeed be great to get Oracle, and or sybase for Linux..

Currently, I'm using Adabas D for linux but it seems that Software AG themselves don't support this version. Support is from third party like SUSE.

I wish these RDBMS vendors would take linux more seriously..

It seems that Solidtech is the only one who trully supports their RDBMS under Linux 8-(.

George