Re: Here's a challenge!

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/20

In article <19971219230500.SAA19597_at_ladder02.news.aol.com>, MSheley645 <msheley645_at_aol.com> writes
>I have a client with a NT 4.0 box with Oracle 7 and a NCR box with Oracle 6.
>Can the two communicate through SQLNet or do I have to do something new?
>
>I know ver 6 is old but will Ver 7 be backward compatible with it. If it is
>are there any other issues I need to worry about? If not, any suggestions?
>
>P.S. Will ver 6 be able to talk as well as hear if indeed it does work.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike Sheley, Houston, TX

Hi there. We have a bunch of V6 boxes running Oracle 6 server and SQL*Net V1 (TCP/IP). We also have a whole bunch of V7 boxes, running both V1 and V2 (only 7.2 or earlier can run V1). We lastly have a V8 box running SQL*Net V8. Basically, a box running V7.2 or earlier can talk SQL*Net V1 to server V6. Anything V7 can talk to V2 or V8. V7.3 and upward cannot talk to V6 [I think I have this straight, perhaps I should have done a matrix]. We have one 7.3 setup which talks SQL*Net V2 to a V7.2 system, which links onward to one of our V6 boxes - so 7.2 can act as a gateway.

The only restriction, assuming what you have can talk to V6 (i.e. it falls into one of the situations above - it's V7.2 or earlier _or_ is talking via such a box) is that you cannot execute distributed transactions where one of the databases in the transaction is V6 - you get a flat error.

Hope this helps.

--
Tom Cooke