Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/12/19

From: bdwheele_at_indiana.edu (Brian Wheeler) >>
> 6. Linux SMP is rudimentary and flaky at best.
While this is _partially true_ (Linux SMP IS rudimentary...in 2.0), it is by no means flaky. How many people run RDBMSes on an SMP box anyway? <<

Actually, I think most Unix shops run Oracle on SMP machines. In the last four years I have never worked on an Oracle database running under Unix that was not an SMP machine. Even the three OpenVMS systems I have worked which were/are all single cpu mcahines are multi-cpu capable without having to make any changes to Oracle.

The three biggest Oracle systems I know of are all Oracle Parallel Server shops so I disagree with the posts that say OPS is not necessary or that raw partitions are not needed except for OPS. I like using raw partitions and async i/o for its superior performance over conventional file systems.

An raw partitions work great on cached DASD units like EMC boxes.

Oracle will port to Linux when they believe that market will make it worth their while and no sooner. Linux supportes can make that day come sooner by making Linux appear to be system 5.

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise - Received on Fri Dec 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST