Re: Reverse engineering on ORACLE

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_saturn.planet.net>
Date: 1997/12/18

All true. That said, both LBMS and ERWin will reverse engineer an ORacle database much more easily than Des2K.

Des2K holds much of its architecture from its predecessor, Oracle CASE, which was written as a competitor to tools the likes of IEF. It is powerful but clumsy and a downright PITA for small data models (say, 50 tables or less).

I would argue that LBMS is a lot easier to use for a multi-designer project, though it does not yet generate HTML or Java, to my knowledge. It does, however, generate nice things like VB or Powerbuilder front-ends as well as Oracle, Sybase and I think, Informix, schemas.

I haven't used the ERWin mult-user repository project in a multi-designer project and cannot compare it to LBMS. Prima facie inspection suggests LBMS would better support a repository approach.

hth -

Regards,
jh
(Also a Certified Oracle DBA)

Phil Cook (pncook_at_worldnet.att.net) wrote:
: Designer 2000 is capable of reverse engineering an Oracle database as
: well as a number of other tools on the market, Erwin, for example.

: Phil Cook
: Certified Oracle DBA

--
Jared Hecker	| HWA Inc. - Oracle architecture and Administration
jared_at_hwai.com	|  ** serving NYC and New Jersey **