Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1997/12/18

Mark,

I am confused by your post.

I have run Oracle on dual, tri, and quad processor NTs and have conducted carefully measured benchmarks. I can state with assurance that Oracle takes advantage of the additional processors when your NT has more than one.

I built a benchmark able to test the system using anywhere from one to eight clients. As you might suspect the time to run a single user's workload remains constant no matter how many processors are in the box, but when running the workload for several users there is a significant difference in the elapsed time required to run the workload and there is a direct correlation between the number of processors and the performance.

I am not sure, but if Parallel Query (not Parallel Server which is an extra cost feature) can be used I suspect that, depending on the nature of the workload, there could be differences in elapsed time even for the single user.

Jerry