Re: Discoverer on a rule based instance

From: Phil Cook <pncook_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/12/18

Tim,

The cost-based optimizer did not really start working well until 7.3.3.3, and some DBAs will still not use it. I do not believe you can effectively use adhoc queries without the cost-based optimizer. I suggest that you create a second instance at 7.3.3.3+ and use that instance for adhoc queries. I would not touch your existing queries or system, especially a well-tuned production system. Since the adhoc is new, maybe you can use the benefits of adhoc to promote the resources required for a second instance.

Phil Cook
Certified Oracle DBA Received on Thu Dec 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST