Data Warehouse and Constraints

From: <shawe_at_indy.tce.com>
Date: 1997/12/17

We are creating a data warehouse and it has been suggested that we do not turn on foreign key constraints after loading data.

Currently, we drop the foreign key constraints, SQLLOAD data into our tables and then turn on the foreign key constraints. If there is a problem with the constraint we then look into why constraint was unable to be turned on.

Due to the fact that if we turn on the foreign key constraints and there is not an entry in the parent table the job would fail thus holding up our schedule, It has been suggested that we should run a SQL script that checks for integrity violations and if there is a row missing in a parent table that row would be added with a default value.

How is everyone else handling these constraint situations?

Any suggestions would be appreciated