Re: native Oracle-port on Linux -- what would it take?

From: Josue Emmanuel Amaro <jamaro_at_home.com>
Date: 1997/12/17

In article <slrn69h9a4.83o.cbbrowne_at_knuth.brownes.org>, cbbrowne_at_hex.net wrote:

> Oracle doesn't have a Linux version because they don't care to have a Linux
> version. There aren't enough suited people in the Linux community to
> "schmooze," and that's what Oracle is *really* into. Oracle is a great
> sales organization that happens to have a fairly decent database product.
> Much as IBM was, in the '60s and '70s, the most powerful *sales*
> organization on Planet Earth.

Probably Oracle does not provide a Linux version because none of its current paying customers have made a fuss about it. For the same reason that there isn't a version of Oracle for Windows95 or 3.1. ( There is lite version, but we are talking server ( big database ) here. )

There may be a business for Oracle to do a Linux version.

Pro: They can sell the database, with an addition of a Free OS. Con: Unfortunatelly it would be kind of hard since they would have create a "Linux" support division since they would not only have to support their product, but also provide support for the operating system.

But the reality is that no one has approached Oracle with a requirement ( and maybe some development money. )

Lets face it, management at Oracle will simple answer with "show me the money".

Believe me, if someone can come up with a business plan with some hard numbers, maybe someone will listen.

> --
> Christopher B. Browne, cbbrowne_at_hex.net, chris_browne_at_sdt.com

Josue Received on Wed Dec 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST