Re: Expanding Database Size

From: Noah Monsey <noah_at_azlink.com>
Date: 1997/12/16

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997 12:51:31 +0200, "Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:

>SNAGRABSKI wrote in message <01bd00ff$075ae5e0$35adedcc_at_megabook>...
>>If you prefer Oracle's Enterprise Manager provides a great GUI interface
>>that allows you to manage Oracle7 databases including adding datafiles to a
>>Tablespace.
>

>I'm a die-hard command line fanatic. ;-)
>
>Reason why I will never use Table Space Manager is that any changes to the
>physical database structure should IMO be documented - so I always update
>the create database and tablespaces scripts when adding data files. And when
>some asshole destroys your database after an operating system upgrade, you
>at least have the scripts to re-run and re-create your database...
>
>regards,
>Billy

Hey Bill, it does seem like you have the right idea, I disagree. On a production system, keeping a well documented script around is usefull, a full database export would be just as good. What good is the database structure without the data?

While I have used the sqldba for years and svrmgr recently, I appreciate the graphical tools whenever I can't remember the exact syntax of a create table or create rollback segment statement.

Using a create database script I can create a database and spread my control files, redo logs and datafiles across several disks. However if it is a development system and I need to add a tablespace to accomodate a huge table, I can use the graphical tool to add the tablespace in a few minutes. If I want to I could even press the "Show SQL" button down at the bottom of storage manager, and cut and paste the sql into my script. It seems easy enough for even the newest dba to use.

Using the graphical tools on a MS Win NT system, I can create a new database instance, tablespace for temporary objects, tablespace for rollback segments, tablespace for user data, tablespace for user indexes, tablespace for development tools in 10 or 20 minutes. Then if I make a mistake, I can visually see that a tablespace is 90% full, I can add a datafile.

Obviously this isn't so great in a production database, but by the time people are using the database you probably should not be changing the structure of the tablespaces.

Yes a script would be faster, but then you have to know exactly what sizes to make most of the objects. If you make a mistake adding a tablespace with Oracle Storage Manager, you can drop the tablespace, delete the datafile and do it over again until you are happy.
========= ========= ========= ========= ========= The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask. ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= Oracle Master Database Administration April 1992 Oracle Master Application Development April 1992 ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= Received on Tue Dec 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CST