Re: Migrating from Microsoft Access to Oracle

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/12/12

nmk_1970_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am planning to migrate from Microsoft Access 97 database
> to Oracle 7.3.2.3. Anybody has some prior experience, Please
> guide me to avoid some problems which you have encountered.
>
> Thanks & regards
>
> /muralikrishna

Hi,

we migrated from Acces2 to Oracle. We have a VB3.0 front-end which was updated to met the needs of Oracle and performance. We took this way:

We created empty tables. (We therefore used a case tool to read out the access-table, added or modified constraints, checked for the correct datatypes and then ran the creation scripts.) We attached the tables into our access tables via ODBC. MAde some processing do tomore restrictiv constraints in our oracle db. We made insert-queries to fill the oracle tables. Remember: to add or change records of an oracle table from acces you've to define a primary key on the oracle-table. Otherwise your oracle table will be read-only, if you're able to see records at all.

So the attached oracle table can be used in queries the same way acces table do. Remember that pass-through-queries are much more perormant.- But with these queries you've got to use oracle's SQL.

There is one pitfall concerning programming when using attached oracle tables: you can't use table-object. So all code you've written with seek and setting index to use has to be rewritten using Select-Statements. Also all datacontrol or the aquivalent in access where you use a table as recordsource, the recordsource has to be changed into an Select-Statement.

--
Regards

Matthias Gresz    :-)