OCI + AIX 4.2 -- runtime problem.

From: Patrick Keshishian <patrick_at_boxsoft.com>
Date: 1997/12/10

Hi all,

   I have been trying to write some code that will be able to insert/    fetch LONG RAW datatype into/from Oracle 7.3.2 running on AIX 4.2.    My main problem is documentation. I have almost none!

   After a few days of looking around on our development machiens    I was finally able to find the library to link with (or so I    believe I have found it), libclntsh.a.

   One problem though: whenever I run my executable it core-dumps with    signal 11 seg. fault (see pasted text below). The core file makes    reference to 'reset_pthread_kill()' function. I must note that    my simple-little-test applications doesn't use threads (I can include    the source file if you want but I figured you'd not want to look    at a source from someone else). To be sure that it isn't my lack of    programming skills (*smirk*) that is causing this core-dump I took    one of the demo files that was in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo direcotry,    "oci01.c" to be exact, and compiled it the same way as I did my own    sample program. At run time this demo program also core-dumps with    a similar stack trace from the debugger.

   I was wondering if you could suggest something that I was doing    wrong or not doing that is causing this behavior.

   I read on in the OCI documentation and learned of an OCI call    'opinit(mode)' which is an optional call to be made before any    other OCI call to let Oracle know wheather or not the program is    threaded or not (the default behavior being non-threaded).

   The problem is that I can't find a supplied library (lib*.a file)    that contains this OCI call. Any ideas?

   I have no support from our DBA. He refuses to call Oracle and    ask for help (in documentation form or otherwise) since our group    is using the GNU C/C++ compiler (gcc) instead of the IBM CSet++.    Though this is not a compiler *issue*). Or am I wrong? :->

   Anyway...I'd appreciate any input regarding the core-dump problem.    Am I not linking the with proper libs?

   Thanks for listening to my rantings :-)

Patrick ...
patrick_at_boxsoft.com

P.S. We are using:

/usr/ecg/echub/classlib/src-2.0> gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/ecg/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.4.0/2.7.2.3/specs gcc version 2.7.2.3

P.P.S. What my simple test program does is connect the the db and

       gets the column count of a certain table (yes it is already
       created in the db).