Re: SET ROLE in PL/SQL

From: Stefan Knopp <Stefan.Knopp_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/12/10

Jerry Apfelbaum wrote:

> We have not had any success with trying to execute the SQL command:
> SET ROLE ThisRole IDENTIFIED BY ThisPassword;
> using dynamic SQL in either an anonymous PL/SQL block or in a stored
> procedure.
>
> Can this be done? If not, is there an explanation as to why this is not
> permitted?
>
> --
> Jerry Apfelbaum
> Eastern Sun Group Inc.
> Toronto, Canada
>
> (Due to proliferation of spammers, remove 'nospam' my email address.)

We use dbms_session.set_role in a Developer2000 application with an Oracle 7.3.3 Server. The roles we programmatically set are non-default roles (excluded via alter user ... default role). It works quite well. Users have access to sensitive Objects only via the application - and not via sqlplus.

S.Knopp /CSC Ploenzke Consulting, Germany Received on Wed Dec 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST