Re: Help: Name confusion.

From: Adrian Shepherd <Adrian.Shepherd_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: 1997/12/09

There is no difference between a SID and an Instance name, There is a difference between the SID/Instance name and the database name though, imagine a cluster (in the old VMS days) when each node/machine had its own instance and they all opened the same DB in parallel mode. instance1 , instance2 , instance3 , instance 4 were all different names, but all opened the same DBNAME, There are ways of changing the DB name if you want to.

 I call mine Fred.