Re: Web Applications: Oracle vs. Sybase vs Informix

From: Nils Myklebust <Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no>
Date: 1997/12/07

grimes_at_access1.digex.net (Seth Grimes) wrote:

:"Mark Johnson" <mkjohns_at_ix.netcom.com> writes:
:
:>I am in the process of developing a web-enabled data warehouse and need to
:>choose a database. Of course I would like to choose one of the major players
:>(Oracle, Sybase, Informix). I am most familiar with Oracle but it seems to
:>be quite expensive for publishing data on the web. ($45,000 per processor
:>for unlimited use internet applications).
:
: Informix is going to run you about the same amount.

From what I have heard here in Norway the price from Informix is significantly lower, but you have to check with your local Informix office or supplier.
Be aware that you have the option of using either the Informix Dynamic Server or the Workgroup Edition of the engine. The difference is that the full Dynamic Server can be scaled to support many more simultaneous users on high end multi processor machines. If you do not expect a very large number of simultaneous users the Workgroup Edition shuld be good enough. Of course you can also upgrade this to the full Dynamic Server at a later time if your load increases.

For many purposes the Universal Data option from Informix is very interesting as well, although I do belive that Seth is right in suggesting the use of third-party products for access to the data. Some of these should be usefull with the Universal Data option as well.

:>Also I am very interested in the comments anyone else might have in enabling
:>dynamic web applications using any of these databases. The application that
:>we have written in Oracle is a reporting mechanism that allows distributors
:>to query their volumes, organizations, and other pertinent and constantly
:>changing information. We have also written a custom internet-enabled
:>ordering system.
:
: There are plenty of third-party products that are superior to
:products from Informix or Oracle or Sybase -- and they all link to these
:DBMSes and others. Use one of them.
:
: Seth
:
:--
:--
:Seth Grimes Alta Plana Internet & database design & development
:grimes@altaplana.com http://altaplana.com 301-891-2581
:grimes@access.digex.net http://www.access.digex.net/~grimes

Nils.Myklebust_at_idg.no
NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway My opinions are those of my company
The Informix FAQ is at http://www.iiug.org Received on Sun Dec 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CST