Mirroring for Recovery?

From: Marc Baime <mbaime_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 1997/12/05

The following was sent to me by a friend of a friend. I suggested RAID-1 but they say they don't have anyone who understands it nor do they have an additional server to do a standby database. I am hoping someone can suggest a good solution to this persons problem. Can she rebuild her instance on a second disk from her backups. She is mirroring her redo logs and control files and is in archivelog mode. Any knowlegeable feedback is welcome. Please email me at mbaime_at_us.ibm.com or mbaime1_at_tampabay.rr.com .

Thanks...Marc Baime

I am planning to do disk mirroring for ORACLE database. ORACLE is running on SUN SPARC server. Original database files reside on disk1 and I am going to install the 2nd disk for mirroring purpose. I have the following questions:

  1. How do I prepare for the 2nd disk? I figure that I have to format the disk, set up a file system on it, and mount the file system.
  2. How many disks do I need to do data mirroring? I plan to use just one more disk which is the 2nd disk to put all mirrored files on it.
  3. How many files needed to be mirrored for disk failure? I will mirror control files, redo files, and archive files.
  4. I know how to mirror control files and redo files, but I am not sure how to mirror archive files.
  5. If disk failure happens, what is the proper procedure to do the recovery? Should I just copy datafiles from backup tape to the 2nd disk and then follow the regular recovery procedure to do the recovery?