Re: please help.. Question with ad's and disadvantages...

From: Peter de Wolff <p.c.de.wolff_at_pve.agro.nl>
Date: 1997/12/04

Why use a oracle database?

Oracle is a real database management system and access is not. When your pc with access chrashes you a have one to five change that your database is corrupted. When you use oracle as the database it will recover itself and it will not be corrupted.

Using access as a database for more than 5 people is just asking for troubles because chances of crashing pc is getting to high. Other words use oracle as the database when you want real secure data. Other advantage is stored procudures etc, in combination with database triggers. This can guarentee (how do you write this with two beers and not being english) that your data is always correct (and not "violating" integrity)

Using access as a front end is a fast way of creating nice applications. Disadvantage is the slower response to the database (you're using odbc, although with a little of money this problem can be fixed) and not the real error messages of the oracle database. Second problem is that ODBC doesn't support all the oracle features.

Sp finally access as the front end and oracle as the back-end is not to strange although i would not use it because i've got designer 2000.

Peter