Re: Please help with performance problem

From: Paul Osborn <posborn_at_menlosoftware.com>
Date: 1997/12/03

--------------261C9C48184B1E14CD8FCAAB

On my web site - http://www.menlosoftware.com - I have a white paper that describes how to tune an Oracle database. It may be of some use to you.

Regards,
Paul

> Gena wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am trying to tune an Oracle 7.3.3 running on an NT 4 server.
> > This machine has 256Megs of Memory and dual 200MHZ processors.
> > This machine is completely dedicated to Oracle and never has anything
> > else running.
> >
> > I have been trying to tune it few a few days now.
> > The selects seem to work fine, but updates, deletes and especially
> > inserts seem to take much longer than I would think they should on such
> > a machine.
> >
> > To insert 2500 records on a 4 field table (which has only about 2000
> > records) takes 45 seconds to a minute.
> > To update or delete the same # of records (the delete criteria is on an
> > indexed field) takes 30-40 seconds.
> > Basically, every operation that does any database changes seems to kill
> > performance.
> >
> > I am trying anything I can think of to improve this performance but
> > nothing seems to be working.
> >
> > The Data, indexes, and rollback tablespaces are all on separate drives.
> >
> > I have rebuilt the database with the following initorcl parameters:
> >
> > I changes all initorcl parameters to those of a Large Database, I also
> > set
> > cpu_count=2
> > db_block_size=8192 (the maximum allowed on NT)
> > shared_pool_size=12000000
> > pre_page_sga = True (to ensure the entire SGA will be in memory)
> >
> > Then I rebuilt the database.
> >
> > I saw little if any improvement in performance (from the default install
> >
> > configuration) after the rebuild.
> >
> > Can somebody please tell me if I'm missing any important parameters to
> > improve
> > performance, or has any other suggestions, or best of all if someone has
> > a similar
> > hardware setup, can I please see you initorcl file.
> >
> > any help would be GREATLY appreciated..........

--------------261C9C48184B1E14CD8FCAAB

begin:          vcard
fn:             Paul Osborn
n:              Osborn;Paul
org:            Menlo Software
adr:            744 College Avenue;;;Menlo Park;CA;94025-5204;US
email;internet: posborn_at_menlosoftware.com
title:          Founder
tel;work:       650.324.1286
tel;fax:        650.324.1287

x-mozilla-cpt: ;0