Re: SQL*NET

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/12/03

CS wrote in message <01bcffa0$d82e6260$829790cc_at_carla>...

From your questions below, I don't think that you understand what SQL*Net is. It's simply an Oracle networking component that enables communication between an Oracle client and an Oracle database. This component is called DB-Library in SQL-Server an Informix-Star and Informix-Net in Informix.

>1) What API interfaces exist to SQL Server from a remote NT platform
>machine? What does SQL*Net buy you?

SQL*Net is a product for Oracle and Oracle only. It's not developed nor intended to be used with any other database system.

>2) Will it work to use SQL*Net and an ODBC interface from a remote NT
>workstation and access an SQL Server database?

No - not SQL-Server. But you can run CLIENT APP -> ODBC -> SQL*NET -> {TCP/IP,NETBEUI,IPX} on the client platform to talk to an Oracle database.

>3) What communications mechanisms does SQL*Net support? Can you direct it
>to use shared memory orTCP/IP sockets to interact? Are there any
>differences in the interface if running the same task on the local machine
>vs. on a remote machine?

SQL*Net supports an API called OCI (Oracle Call Interface). It supports TCP/IP, IPX/SPX and NetBEUI as protocols. SQL*Net does not run tasks - it is simply a database network driver that handles client-server Oracle connections.

>4) Is there a C interface to SQL*Net that allows insert and update calls to
>use binary values for fields? From a remote machine?

As I mentioned above, OCI (Oracle Call Interface) is the API to talk via SQL*Net to an Oracle database.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Dec 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST