Re: Hints in Forms 2.3 for Oracle Financials

From: David Martin <djmartin_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: 1997/12/01

djmartin_at_netspace.net.au (David Martin) wrote:

>I am currently doing some Forms work at an Oracle Financials 10.5 site
>... Forms 2.3, RULES based optimisation, Oracle 7.1 (yes, a bit out of
>date ... it will all be upgraded in the next 9 months).
>
>My problem, right now, is that I have an 'ORDERING' statement that
>needs to have a hint added so that it will use an index ... I know how
>to add a hint in later versions of Forms ... but how do I add a hint
>to a BLOCK's SELECT in Forms 2.3?
>
>Any help will be gratefully received.
>
>David

I worked it out today ... add two dummy fields to the block's page 0, make them #1 and #2 in the select order.

Generate the form ... use a hex editor to change the field names to '/*+ hint (table) comment' and '*/ field1,field2'. Note: a comma will be placed where the 'and' is, by the forms generator, the second you type in yourself ... you MUST have two fields before and after editing.

Field1 and field2 must exist in the table but the dummy fields, which must have name long enough to hold the HINT you need to use, do NOT have to be real fields.

David Received on Mon Dec 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST