Re: oracle 7.3.2 on solaris 2.6 box. Install prob

From: Craig W. Shaver <craig_at_progroup.com>
Date: 1997/11/29

Kirk Martinez wrote:

> twod_at_not.valid wrote:
> >
> > : I am trying to install Oracle 7.3.2 on an solaris 2.6 box and I am
> > : wondering if this will be ok
> >
> > The installer for 7.3.2.1 is known to be buggy. Oracle recommends that you
> > install and use the installer from 7.3.2.2 (or later releases of 7.3.2) - but
> > not 7.3.3.x.
>
> It really is INCREDIBLE how bad Oracle installation is. In our
> installation the
> root.sh fails - so I just don't trust such a weak product. We're looking
> at
> Informix now instead! However if anyone knows a proper way to install
> blasted Oracle 7.3.3 we might give it another try...
>
> Dr Kirk Martinez
> Director of Digital Libraries Research Centre
> Multimedia Research Group
> Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science
> The University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
> tel: +44 (0)1703 594491 fax: 592865 http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~km

I almost gave up on Oracle when I first installed it. Or rather, 'tried' to install it. I had to hack the shell scripts to get it to work properly. They probably pay more attention to features in the engine than those in the install and setup. One other area they need to look at is the sqlnet setup and usage. This is very confusing and error prone for many people.

Now that I have oracle up and running I am satisfied. The installation should not be as convoluted and error prone as it is. They need to spend a few weeks getting it right. I suggest they eliminate the fancy motif and tcl crap, and go for a straight forward shell based install.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig_at_progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088