www access to oracle db - how do you balance security with access?

From: Dennis Taylor <no_spam_dammit_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/11/27

We want our internet web page to have certain forms that allow inquiries against our internal database. The way I see it, I have these options:

  1. The web inquiry program goes through some kind of proxy on our firewall, directly to our oracle database. The allowable functions are severely restricted, probably by user and role. (is this enough?)
  2. The oracle database is copied regularly (by some means) to another server, also on the inside of the firewall. Web access is to this secondary server, so if it is compromised, our real data isn't affected. (hopefully)
  3. The oracle database is copied regularly to another server that is *outside* the firewall. Inquiries then happen against that server, and the firewall isn't involved. The problem here is bandwidth - our database is significantly big.

We are willing to spend some money to make this work, but not tens of thousands.

Can anyone give me their experiences with this type of situation? I am also going to be calling Oracle, but I have the bad feeling that their response will include "if you buy this product of ours" multiple times, so I need a reality check.

--

---
email address is dtaylor at ipipeline dot net