Re: Mayday! Mayday! Ora73 ODBC trouble!

From: Robert Clevenger <robc_at_magicnet.net>
Date: 1997/11/27

Chris Fenstermaker wrote in message <01bcf8ca$4b564b00$1d150180_at_fe12405>...
>We are using several Windows NT console mode and MFC applications which
 >access an Oracle73 database via ODBC (Oracle73 Drivers 1.15 and 2.5,  Driver
>Mgr 3.0)

Right there your problem is that you are using a Level 1 ODBC Driver with a Level 3 ODBC Administrator. These two versions do not talk to each other well. (ODBC SDK 3.0 Depracated *MANY* ODBC 1.0 Calls) Go to Oracle's web site and download the Oracle ODBC Driver 2.5.3.1.0B. (http://www.oracle.com/downloads/free_software I think)

>Are there better drivers out there than the ones from Oracle? (Already
>tried Intersolv 3.01)

I think Intersolv's DataDirect ODBC Drivers are close to being the best if not the best.

>Does the Oracle DB have quotas on how many connections a user / remote node
>can have open at the same time?

Nope... Just make sure you are using some flavor of SQL*net 2.3 with the Oracle 2.5.xxx ODBC Driver.

P.S. Some good alternatives are:

  1. OCI - Oracle Call Interface - the header files, etc.. are included with the Programmer/2000 CD.
  2. Oracle Objects for OLE. - an InProc OLE Server that accesses the DB.
  3. Pro*C (If you like Precompilers)
  4. RogueWave's DB++ (Great Tool!!!)

That's all I can think of for the moment... But my point is that there are MANY ways to talk to ANY database.

Take Care,

Robert Clevenger Received on Thu Nov 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST