Re: adding a column to a table

From: Allan Speir <Allan_Speir-r31055_at_email.sps.mot.com>
Date: 1997/11/26

--------------A8DAA73F2B776B09898C1C8A

Martin Meadows wrote:

> This may be a dumb question but here goes anyway. I'm a novice
> Oracle person. I have an Oracle table that needs a column added
> to it. I haven't any good SQL reference manuals. The one manual
> I have shows me how to add a row to a table with SQL. Can I add
> a column? If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin Meadows

Hi Martin,

The command should be

Alter table <table_name>
add <column_name> <column definition>

e.g.
Alter table TEST
add ANOTHER_COLUMN varchar2(1)

Note you cannot add a not null column to a table which already contains data.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Allan

--------------A8DAA73F2B776B09898C1C8A

begin:          vcard
fn:             Allan Speir
n:              Speir;Allan
org:            Motorola SPS
adr:            Motorola Ltd;;Colvilles Road;East Kilbride;;;Scotland
email;internet: Allan_Speir-r31055_at_email.sps.mot.com
title:          Development Analyst
tel;work:       +44 1355 566476

x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE