Re: Please help with performance problem

From: Brad Odland <bodland_at_cpm.com>
Date: 1997/11/26

In addition to all the other fine comments check to make sure if you use a where clause
references all columns in a composite index (if you have them) if you do and your WHERE clause
only references on of the coloumns it will not use the index. Create a separate index for the column used in the where clause.

Also try setting the parallel query option on the tables in question to a degree of
4 or 5.
ALTER TABLE TABLE_NAME PARALLEL DEGREE 4 alos set PARALLEL_MIN_SERVERS = 4
and PARALLEL_MAX_SERVERS = 8 in the init.ora file.

These refer to the parallel query option that is native to Oracle Server 7.3.
For good info about PQO read Oracle Press Book Advanced Oracale tuning and Administration Chapter 12.
Setting these values has a dramatic effect on the speed of queries.

Also I heard of a bug in Oracle for NT where cursors were failing to be closed. When ever a SQL statement is parsed Oracle opens an implicit cursor for any insert update or select statements. That could be the reason for the degredation of query performence.

Have fun.....